Through a design and development competition, the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) awarded Line Company Architects in partnership with the Architectural Heritage Foundation, the redevelopment of the 1899 Charles River Reservation Speedway Administration Building in Brighton, an important architectural and historic landmark and one of the oldest historic buildings of the Metropolitan Park System. Constructed circa 1899, and designed by Charles Austin, it originally housed the headquarters for the speedway, a recreational parkway for horse carriage-racing. The building evolved over time, incorporating the Metropolitan Police Captain’s House, a two story stable, a police station and a parks and parkway maintenance facility. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a gateway between the Upper Charles River Reservation and the Lower Basin.